Click To Enter!

Permalink « Home | 95% Vote No To Emerson in Mock Byelection. » | Harper "loath" to co-operate with Ethics commissio... » | And so it begins....... » | The McCartney's in Canada. » | Bernard Lord's Salary » | Maritime Web Forum. » | Voluntary E.I. Payments?? » | Secret Irving power deal??? » | Some Communities destined to die? » | Harper losing his base already? »

Should we have a debate about Our troops in Afghanistan?

I'm really wondering what everyone thinks about this.
First off, let me say that I support our troops 101% at all times wherever they are called on to serve. I have never questioned the motives that took the U.S. into Afghanistan, as after Sept 11 who could blame them. I thought from day one that we should be there to aid and support the U.S. in Afghanistan. However, now the American's are pulling out, leaving a mess, and as usual, asking other countries to clean up their mess. We know why of course, as they have another mess of their own creation in Iraq. Our troops are being asked to put their lives on the line, simply because the U.S. is losing the belly to finish what they started.

I don't question the motives of the Canadian Armed Forces, the government, and the reasons we went there in the first place. BUT, lets face some simple facts. The Canadian troops do not have the equipment nor the numbers to be effective against the enemy they are currently facing, as the Anchor in this fight. The Russians tried years ago against the Taliban, as we all know, and with all their firepower, and numbers were still defeated.

Anyhow, the NDP and some Liberals are asking for a debate on the issue, but Peter MacKay says that could undermine the Mission. The latest polls show the country is split on the issue.
I don't have the answer, but I fear Canadians support for this mission will diminish quickly if our boys start being sent home in large numbers in body bags. God Forbid! I hope everyone joins me in wishing all of our troops a safe return and a successful mission. But I can't help but think we are biting off more than we can chew at this time. IMO, We simply do not have the equipment to keep our boys safe, and see this through to a successful conclusion. I sure hope time proves me wrong on this one.

|
Listed on BlogShares