Click To Enter!

Permalink « Home | It's time to get crackin' » | On Stephen Harper's withdrawal [from the press] » | Let's get this show on the road » | Implications of Caledonia Blockade » | Shawn Graham Faces the Music » | It only takes 4 steps » | Do high gas prices hurt New Brunswick's tourism in... » | Looking for Guest Bloggers » | Bush worse than Clinton. » | Will He stay or will he go...... »

When are you going to wake up New Brunswick?

KNOCKING AROUND GOOD ideas on economic development in New Brunswick is pretty much a staple of many left leaning anonymous commenters in the blogosphere these days. And to date, I've always just tried to ignore them and so far I've seldom partaken in this senseless debate. But unfortunately, this week, I couldn't help but notice the increased amount of petulance toward the Atlantica project and many other good ideas which were bandied about by reasonable economic thinkers in this province.

But let us not make the opposite error of reposting the coerced protestations of these individuals against next months trade talks in Saint John. It is surely naive of anyone to think that the Atlantic provinces could possibly afford to lose an important trade junket over the needling of the short-sighted left regarding big corporation and their influence on our so-called "way of life". More importantly, let's allow Moncton economist David Campbell (aka It's the Economy Stupid!) to put the week of leftist mutterings into better perspective...


Can you believe there is actually an organized movement against Atlantica? I find this the most amazing thing I have heard in a long, long time. New Brunswick has not had average - just national average - population growth since Confederation and there are organized attempts to crush a few small efforts to move the area forward.

What the bleep are they worried about? That furthern integration with Maine will lead to a dilution of our culture and values? Cripes, 14 straight years of net out-migration will corrode culture and values more than any theoretical issues related to Atlantica.

I'm convinced that there is a segment of society so entrenched in ideology that no person or province will get in their way. I, for one, have thrown ideology to the wind in favour of action and effort.

|

    About me

    • I'm PoliticsNB
    • From New Brunswick, Canada
    • I'm just a 37 year old average Joe Shmoe voter. I work a 40 hr week, and have no political affiliations. I tend to be center or left of center on most issues, but I do firmly believe in the right of the "rights" to exist. :-) You can also contact me via MSN Messenger. politicsnb@hotmail.com
    My profile
    Listed on BlogShares