Click To Enter!

Permalink « Home | Still Alive and Kicking!! » | Lord To Increase Minimum Wage » | Harper to Reform the Senate » | Should private abortion clinics be publicly funded? » | "Kyoto is dead" » | When are you going to wake up New Brunswick? » | It's time to get crackin' » | On Stephen Harper's withdrawal [from the press] » | Let's get this show on the road » | Implications of Caledonia Blockade »

Of weathergirls and lawyers

I know I'm a little late on this one but this issue still sticks in my craw. Liberal MLA Mike Murphy uses the word "weathergirl" in the legislature and Tory MLA Margaret Ann Blaney essentially goes ballistic into hyper-feminism mode. I highly doubt Murphy meant anything derogatory by it at all. Blaney's made noise on this type of issue before but I often wonder how much of it is just for show to keep the folks over at Status of Women happy. After all, a few weeks ago there were those within the Status of Women who were publicly slamming Blaney for not making a fuss about the Chalmers Hospital in Fredericton not providing abortion. Gee, if you're a woman, do you have to automatically support abortion? It seems so, if you want to be accepted into the fold of the Status of Women. Lest anyone think I'm anti-feminism, let me once again recommend the book, The Death of Right and Wrong by Tammy Bruce. Bruce is a pro-abortion, lesbian who was the President of the National Organization of Women in LA, probably the world's most renowned feminist organization. Bruce is a straight shooter who is bang on the money on feminist issues and a host of other social issues. A good read, however I digress.Mike Murphy should have done the right thing and called Blaney's comments exactly whatt they were...ridiculous. Instead he does what all lawyers seem to do first. He sues her which pretty much puts him out of the running to ever lead the Liberal Party or even possibly get relected. Sorry Mike, most people are pretty sick of lawyers suing everyone particularly over nonsense. That's the reason everyone has higher insurance rates and is afraid to do pretty much anything because of sue-happy lawyers. Murphy eventually withdrew his lawsuit but the damage was done. Both of these politicians screwed up big-time on this one but I have to give the screw-up edge to Murphy. He could have come away on the high ground but chose to sink to the sewer instead.

|

    About me

    • I'm PoliticsNB
    • From New Brunswick, Canada
    • I'm just a 37 year old average Joe Shmoe voter. I work a 40 hr week, and have no political affiliations. I tend to be center or left of center on most issues, but I do firmly believe in the right of the "rights" to exist. :-) You can also contact me via MSN Messenger. politicsnb@hotmail.com
    My profile
    Listed on BlogShares