Click To Enter!

Permalink « Home | Iggy and the Libs » | Anonymous Bloggers » | The last Tory out is a rotten egg!! » | Will He Get an Apology for New Brunswickers?? » | No medal for vets? C'mon Stephen........ » | Oct 3 the Big Day for the N.B Libs. » | Liberals Win A Majority. » | NDP Decimated in New Brunswick » | A Liberal Win » | SORRY GUYS!!! TOO EXICTING!!! I GOT TO SIT DOWN AN... »

Second Refinery In the Cards?

So the big news around the southern part of NB this week, besides Graham's "letter of intent" for harbour cleanup in Saint John (which I'll believe after I see the feds actually pony up the dough they keep talking about) is of course the news of the proposed Irving Refinery in Red Head.

I may as well state right off the bat; I support this idea of a second refinery. I know I’m going to catch it from the environmentalists on this one.......but so be it. Some seem to forget that Saint John is at heart an industrial city. As goes the industry, so will go Saint John. 1000 full time refinery jobs is nothing to shrug of lightly. Ask those currently employed at the Refinery all ready located in Saint John, or in supporting industries around the city. That sucker puts a lot of bread and butter on a lot of tables, not to mention gravy and whipped cream and cherries.

NOW, with that said, I’m not without concerns about the environment of course. But you know, Irving is a favorite whipping boy of people like the conservation council etc, being the cities largest employer, but to be quite honest, as recently as 20-25 years ago, you couldn’t drive close to Saint John without literally gagging from the smell from the mills. Is it 100% gone? Of course not……..but it’s a damn site better now than what it once was. Irving companies have invested millions in each mill, and the refinery, to put scrubbers, and other pollution controls in place to make it better. Sure I want to see more done. I would also like to see some plans from the Irving group on what they can/will do to address the added pollution this project is sure to bring.

I will bet that the majority of Saint Johners will support this idea at the end of the day, just as obviously the majority support LNG in the city. There is a minority that does not of course, and they should be listened to as they bring their concerns to the table. But at the end of the day, most will support it, because despite the faults………it’s in the best interest of the city.

It’s not like many others are lining up with other projects and ideas.

This blog won’t be very popular with the anti-Irving contingent out there I dare say. But since I work in one of those “spin-off” industries, I know what a project like this could mean to the city. The needs of the many etc, etc……….

So flame away……….I can take it.

|

    About me

    • I'm PoliticsNB
    • From New Brunswick, Canada
    • I'm just a 37 year old average Joe Shmoe voter. I work a 40 hr week, and have no political affiliations. I tend to be center or left of center on most issues, but I do firmly believe in the right of the "rights" to exist. :-) You can also contact me via MSN Messenger. politicsnb@hotmail.com
    My profile
    Listed on BlogShares